This project is not about 100 words. It is about inspiration and passing it on. It seeks nothing but existence and here it is.
Inspiration found the artists on this page and, together, they created something. This in turn found me and, with that inspiration, I created something else. Now, my excerpts find you and my hope is that you find inspiration, and create something too. This project, could equally be called “Inspired Whispers”.
The first couple of journeys I took with inspiration, shaped how I would come to work with artists and then present our work.
- I see a piece of art that captures my attention – in this way it chooses me because I have something in me to which it wants to relate.
- Then, I have a conversation with the piece (sometimes quite literally) and, through this, I find the clues about the story that exists around it. Sometimes this will give me a whole story and, at others, just part.
- At this point, I contact the artist,explain the project and see if they’d like to take part. I offer them an opportunity to share their reflection on their piece and its inspiration – but ask them to delay sharing that with me until I’ve completed my writing.
- Having done this, I write a 100 word excerpt from a narrative, that involves this piece of art.
- I then write a personal reflection on the journey I made from the picture to the excerpt.
- Both the 100 word excerpt and my personal reflection are shared with the artist and, at this point, they may share theirs. These have been wonderful to hear and have led to some touching conversations that I feel truly honoured to have shared.
- I then publish the work on this blog and my social media channels.